A doula is a trained professional who provides continuous physical, emotional and informational support to a mother before, during and shortly after childbirth to help her achieve the healthiest, most satisfying experience possible.
Evidence shows that having a doula present results in:
· lower likelihood of needing Pitocin
· reduced likelihood of having a cesarean birth
· fewer requests for pain medications
· fewer births needing forceps or vacuum extraction
· decreased anxiety
· more positive long-term memories
· higher likelihood of rating their childbirth experience positively
· better Apgar scores for babies
· more self-esteem and confidence
· improved postpartum mental health
· improved relaxation
· increased movement.
In addition, partners feel supported during the experience which helps parents to have a better and more supportive environment during and after childbirth.